Exciting News from SAVIR - August 2019
Keep an eye out in the next few months for some exciting updates from SAVIR.
You are reading the new SAVIR website! If you have suggestions for the website, please send them to email@example.com.
Want to host the SAVIR Conference in 2021 - 2023?
SAVIR is seeking host sites for the 2021, 2022 and 2023 conferences. This is an opportunity to promote the field of injury at the national level, showcase your center’s work, and highlight regional challenges and successes. The summary document explains the requirements and process of applying.
If you are interested in hosting, SAVIR invites your online application by August 30, 2019.
Applications will be considered by the SAVIR Board of Directors, with notification of applicants by October 31, 2019.
News from the Council of Centers
From Andrea Gielen, Co-Chair
Do you work in a research center? If so, please consider having your center join the SAVIR Council of Centers!
The Council of Centers represents members who are affiliated with diverse types of centers and seeks to
- contribute to building the field of injury research, and
- provide mutual support and professional enrichment to its members.
And, let’s face it, who couldn’t use a bit more support and enrichment these days?
We meet monthly by teleconference to address the following objectives.
- Enhance opportunities for collaboration regionally, domestically and globally
- Share best practices for closing the gap between research and practice
- Enhance impact on the field by increasing the number and funding levels of research centers
- Collaborate with relevant SAVIR committees to achieve our mutual objectives
- Help centers address issues of concern to increase their effectiveness
- Discuss best practices in administration, engagement, and communication, among other topics
- Identify funding sources and strategies
One high priority activity for this year is promoting collaboration by disseminating a directory of centers with brief descriptions and contact information. It is important that the Council expand to include all types of injury, violence, and trauma centers, so if that’s you and you’re not yet part of the Council, please email us to be included in what we hope will be a useful networking tool.
Advocacy for injury research is mission critical for SAVIR. Thus, another priority for the Council is to support SAVIR’s advocacy efforts. We believe there is strength in numbers –more centers, more funding, more research and outreach, more lives saved! During the year, as opportunities to make our voices heard arise, the Council will reach out to its members for your input and support as we advocate for broad injury and violence research funding across many agencies.
Look for stories from the Council to appear in future newsletters. We plan to highlight the work of different centers and to address topics of mutual concern, such as how centers can
- bridge research and practice,
- build visibility within their organizations,
- identify innovative fundraising strategies,
- and other topics you might like to raise!
Enjoy the rest of your summer – make it a safe season!